Friday, July 16, 2004

An alternative take on the by-elections
 
As a Lib Dem I suppose I have to make a token comment on yesterday's electoral results (even if I've managed to keep silent on Butler).
 
I think it was a bit cheeky to ask for a recount in Birmingham, especially if we were more than 400 votes behind.  I suspect there was a bit of gamesmanship going on.  But really, how could 400 votes be misplaced or uncounted?  Oh wait, I forgot Florida.  Whoops...
 
All in all, good results, though a double whammy would have been great.  And as I keep ribbing my Tory colleague at work (a PPC for somewhere which shall remain nameless), when are they going to wake up and realise that there's only one man who can lead them out of the darkness and into the light.  Yes, it's another plug for the only non-Tory's Tory, the scruffy, stumbling, mumbling editor of the Spectator.  Yes, I can hear it now: Bo-ris, Bo-ris, Bo-ris!
 
Of course the Tories don't get it and won't go for him.  But I do wonder whether the party has any more fun in store for us.  After all, they do leadership coups so well.

No comments: