Tuesday, June 01, 2004

On the campaign trail... again

Another Bank Holiday weekend sacrificed to the greater good! On Saturday I was out on the Boundary Estate near Shoreditch leafletting, while Sunday it was the turn of the estates in Bethnal Green North. Saturday evening I was also taken out by some of our newer, enthusiastic members near Green Street in Newham, to one of the local mosques to press the flesh of local people.

Quite a good exercise I thought, especially since I was able to pick up the local issues (traffic congestion on Green Street and its spill over into the side streets) and avoid the usual discussion about whether Lib Dems or Respect are a better choice for Muslims in next week's elections. If next week's planned public meeting in Manor Park comes off, I'm sure I will be questioned on that subject.

Also welcome was dinner afterwards. We got taken to the Lahore Express, which is a franchise and does some great mixed grill, with tikka, lamp chops and fish, along with some curry, lentils, chappati and washed down with a huge jug of mango lassi. Yum. And I have now discovered the same place up Bethnal Green Road. An early visit may be in store methinks.

No comments: