Monday, May 24, 2004

More from the campaign trail

Just spent part of the morning in Watney Market with Simon Hughes on his Tower Hamlets leg of his tour around London. This week the theme's about transport and so in an echo of Martin bell (white suit), Simon, his minders and I forewent the Hughesmobile for the DLR line.

Some very positive activity in Watney Market. A few interested members of the public who all wanted to join and everyone was taking our leaflets. Lots of face time for local residents with not only Simon and myself, but the councillors who were in attendance as well. We've even got some case work out of it, including fixing some broken pavements, checking into services for young autistic people and the ongoing problems with post and pensions.

From Shadwell we made the journey over to Broadgate in the City, where I left Simon campaigning amongst City workers with John Stevens and a few other key Lib Dem activists.

Yesterday we were out leafletting the Malmsbury Estate near Mile End and on Saturday I was in Newham with my local organiser, meeting a group of potential supporters. That visit went well and may result in a public meeting this Saturday with members of the local community in Manor Park. One woman I spoke to in Watney Market today asked my views on Iraq and asked if I would be willing to attend an event in the local Muslim community centre there. So my Bank Holiday weekend looks like it's becoming busier!

No comments: