Monday, April 19, 2004

Avoiding asking for votes and hot towels

I'm slightly Lib Dem-ed out.

Last Thursday I helped survey some of the estates north of Old Ford Road. Surveying is always much more preferable to canvassing, since you don't have to actually ask people how they're planning on voting.

Then on Friday (Friday!), we selected our Parliamentary candidate for Bethnal Green and Bow. Fiyaz Mughal, the chair of the Ethnic Minority Lib Dems won on the first round. I'm sure he'll do a good job in what is a constituency with a strong ethnically diverse community.

I had to make a short speech as well while they counted the votes; I felt rather like the hot towels that come between the main course and dessert.

Saturday I went leafletting around the estates south of where I live in Bethnal Green. It felt slightly odd distributing campaign material with my picture on them. As a candidate, I can no longer hide behind the relative cloak on anonymity which comes from just being a campaign worker!

And on Sunday we were supposed to do some leaflet delivery in Newham, but the chair's illness and the rain put paid to that Probably just as well, since I needed a break and Sunday lunch with friends in Dulwich seemed more appealing!

No comments: